Sunday, December 9, 2012

Watermelon Salad


With the warmer weather heating us and our houses, as we get outdoors for dining, entertaining and cranking up the barbie, it's time to turn to salads instead of veggies for our dinners. Using whatever's on hand, in the pantry or fridge, the garden even, I love mixing it up and having something different besides the normal coleslaw and tossed salads, which there is nothing wrong with, they are reliable standards and we love them.


1 kilo watermelon flesh, cut in chunks
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
Mint leaves, about 40, torn

If you want it a little fancier, add

100gr pitted olives
200gr feta cheese, sliced and broken

Besides the mayo (sometimes homemade) for the coleslaw, and tangy tomato dressing for pasta salad, I don't usually dress salads. I like them au naturale. If I do I only use lemon juice and olive oil. I can't stand the plastic bottle stuff, the supposed "italian/french dressing", I don't live in the same universe as the makers of that stuff. Blerk!


You could use lime juice and olive oil as a dressing, but for an adults only salad, try whisking up these ingredients for an ouzo dressing

    2 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs ouzo
Salt & ground black pepper

6 comments:

  1. Yum that looks great!! I love the simplicity of it which is what I am all about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum!! What a perfect summer Christmas salad! Love the sound of ouzo dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks great! Thanks for linking up again x it's a bit lonely over at MM! hehe. www.meltingmoments.info

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of an ouzo dressing - is there anything that grog can't improve at Christmas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this salad I used to make it and have forgotten about it! Must do.it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, yum, yum!! I am the person who buys a watermelon and then proceeds to eat the entire thing!!! Mmm add in some feta and olives and you have me totally sold! Thank you so much for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...